THE COACH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142211

Date first listed: 09-Apr-1975

Statutory Address: THE COACH HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COACH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 00:43:54.

Location

Statutory Address: THE COACH HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Crowan

National Grid Reference: SW 63517 35046

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 63 NW CROWAN CLOWANCE

1/123 The Coach House - 9.4.75 GV II

Coach house and stabling, now converted to living accommodation. Circa late C18. Probably built for the fifth baronet, John St Aubyn (1758-1839). Coursed faced granite rubble walls with dressed granite quoins, sills, jambstones, voussoirs, lintels and moulded cornice with modillions. Grouted U-plan scantle slate roofs with hipped ends. Brick axial chimney over left hand wing. U-shaped overall symmetrical plan : central coach house doorway breaks forward; 3 coach house doorways in the right hand wing, possibly later inserted, otherwise formerly stabling with fodder storage and staff accommodation to the 1st floor. 2 storeys. Originally symmetrical 2:1:2 bay principal south east entrance front with a projecting wing at right angles on either side. The central 2-storey bay is breaks forward and is surmounted by an open pediment carried on broad consoles. The pediment has a granite modillion cornice and in the centre of the typanum is a round painted clock face. A hexagonal-on-plan cupola, with elliptically-arched arcade and pogoda roof with ball finial, is directly behind over the ridge of the roof. Wide elliptically-arched doorway with small square window opening over, similar to all the other 1st floor openings. Tall ground floor window openings have 12 pane hornless sashes. At ground floor right is a narrow doorway probably an alteration. This front and the 4 bay flanking wings have granite modillioned cornices. The left hand wing courtyard facing front has a doorway in the second from left hand bay, otherwise window openings, the 3rd from left 1st floor window, blind. The right hand wing courtyard front has narrow doorway left and 3 wide elliptically-arched doorways with double herringbone-planked doors. The 1st floor right hand window opening is blind At the front ends of the wings are 2 ground floor and 2 first floor window openings to each. Some of the openings are blind or blocked. Interior not inspected. This is a fine coach house, probably built soon after the Orangery qv. and displaying the high quality of the C18 work at Clowance (the house front was rebuilt following a fire in 1843).

Listing NGR: SW6351735046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 65831

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing