WHEAL PROSPER ENGINE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142234

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: WHEAL PROSPER ENGINE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHEAL PROSPER ENGINE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 12:48:22.

Location

Statutory Address: WHEAL PROSPER ENGINE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Breage

National Grid Reference: SW 59373 27015

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 52 NE BREAGE RINSEY

6/183 Wheal Prosper Engine House - II

Beam engine house ruin. Circa 1860. Killas rubble with dressed granite quoins and jambstones, wooden lintels and brick upper stage to chimney. Rectangular plan with round chimney clasping the rear right (east) corner; thicker front bob wall (south west) with plug doorway; boiler doorway in rear wall. Machinery, floors, studwork to second and gable over bob wall, and roof structure removed. Originally 3 floors over basement pit. Basement plinth. Central ground floor opening to front bob wall; central opening to each floor of rear gable end; window opening to each floor of left hand (north west) wing wall and ground floor opening to right hand wing wall, plus small square openings in wing walls for removed cross beams. 2 stage tapered chimney with 2 moulded brick collars. Wheal Prosper worked from circa 1860 to 1866. There was a 30 inch pumping engine here which had "almost nothing to do, only making about two strokes in three minutes". In 1860 a 20 inch stamping and winding engine was erected; (this is possibly what this engine house contained); and 16 head of stamps were worked. These were also dressing floors here supplied with water pumped from the mine and distributed with wooden launders. This engine house, restored in 1970 by the National Trust, stands in unspoilt coastal moorland near the cliff edge. Sources : Mines and Miners of Cornwall, (vol. 4) by A K Hamilton Jenkin.

Listing NGR: SW5937327015

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 65788

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hamilton Jenkins, A K, Mines and Miners of Cornwall, (1976)

End of official listing