ENGINE HOUSE AND ASSOCIATED RUINS AT SW572314, TINDENE MINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142236

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1987

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AND ASSOCIATED RUINS AT SW572314, TINDENE MINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGINE HOUSE AND ASSOCIATED RUINS AT SW572314, TINDENE MINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142236 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 21:45:02.

Location

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AND ASSOCIATED RUINS AT SW572314, TINDENE MINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Breage

National Grid Reference: SW5723231457

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 53 SE BREAGE TRESCOWE

3/86 Engine house and associated ruins at SW572314, Tindene Mine

GV II

Disused beam engine house and associated remains. Circa 1887.Granite ashlar bob wall, otherwise granite and elvan rubble walls with granite dressings, round-headed brick arched openings. Rectangular on plan, thicker bob wall at north side and round-on-plan chimney clasping the south-west corner. Bearing wall adjoins the north east corner and a rectangular boiler house lies at a short distance to the south east. Floor, roof and machinery removed. 3 storeys over basement. The north bob wall has central round-headed ground floor opening with granite voussoirs. The weatherboarding to the 2nd floor and the gable over, are missng. The opposite (south) gable end wall has large central ground floor opening and opening to each floor over. The side walls have openings to each floor, one to the middle of the 1st floor, the other openings regularly disposed at left or right. All openings spanned by round-headed brick arches except the ground floor opening left of the west wall, which has a timber lintel. The tapered rubble chimney has a brick upper stage. The whim-wheel bearing walls, in front of the left hand side of the bob wall overlooking the shaft, have a series of dressed granite blocks with sockets and drill holes for iron reinforcing rods. Some of these rods are still in situ. On the opposite side of the shaft is a triangular depression. The boiler house is of red killas with brick dressings. Round-headed opening at the north end and remains of openings in the east and south walls. Worked unsuccessfully in 1887-1892. Erected for a third hand beam pumping engine with a 60-inch cylinder originally built by Perran Foundry 35 years earlier, in 1852. The engine was moved, and recylindered to 65 inch, to Sara's Shaft, Wheal Kitty, St Agnes in 1911. This engine house is in a beautiful wooded setting and retains much evidence of die associated machinery. Source: Kenneth Brown, council member of the Trevithick Society.

Listing NGR: SW5723231457

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 65791

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing