This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1142285



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467717

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL8563NE WESTGATE STREET 639-1/11/687 (South side) 07/08/52 Theatre Royal


Theatre. 1819; later used as a warehouse, but restored and re-opened as a theatre in 1965. By William Wilkins. In white brick and stucco with slate roof. EXTERIOR: the auditorium has a gabled end in white brick, with a 3-light small-paned sash window set in a semicircular arched recess. This rises above a stuccoed flat-roofed entrance foyer in 2 tiers, with a triglyph frieze and cornice to the lower part of the front, which is divided into 3 bays by plain pilasters, doubled at the corners. The 2 outer bays have small-paned semicircular arched windows and the central bay has double entrance doors with a semicircular fanlight. The windows and fanlight all have radiating glazing-bars. Lower side wings flank the foyer, each with 2 semicircular arched openings, one with a small-paned window, the other with a doorway. INTERIOR: the circular auditorium has 2 tiers of galleries above, supported on slender reeded cast-iron columns with acanthus-leaf capitals. The original Etruscan style decoration to the fronts of the galleries has been restored. The stage has a door at each side and figured marble pilasters. The foyer has a pair of matching fireplaces on the rear walls: the slightly raised cast-iron grates have reeded surrounds and moulded architraves with dentil cornices. Domed ceiling. (BOE: Pevsner N: Radcliffe E: Suffolk: London: 1974-: 151; Statham M: The Book of Bury St Edmunds: Buckingham: 1988-: 109-110).

Listing NGR: TL8563563748

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Suffolk, (1974), 151
Statham, M, The Book of Bury St Edmunds, (1988), 109-110

National Grid Reference: TL 85618 63739


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142285 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:38:21.

End of official listing