CHURCH OF ST PROTUS AND ST HYACINTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1142367
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PROTUS AND ST HYACINTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PROTUS AND ST HYACINTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142367.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:54:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PROTUS AND ST HYACINTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Blisland
National Grid Reference:
SX 10038 73122

Details

BLISLAND BLISLAND SX 17 SW 9/55 Church of St Protus and St Hyacinth 6.6.69

GV I

Parish church. Norman origins, extended in circa mid and late C15. Restored in circa 1896 by F. C. Eden. Earlier stone rubble masonry in east wall of chancel, west end of nave, which has a pronounced batter, and part of north transept. Ashlar granite south aisle, south porch and north wall of north chancel aisle. Tower of roughly coursed ashlar masonry. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one. Plan: Earlier Norman church probably of cruciform plan with remains in west wall of nave, east end of chancel, north transept and possibly lower stage of tower which is situated on the north side of the north transept. South porch, 6-bay south aisle, upper stage of tower and 2 bays of short north chancel aisle added in circa mid and late C15. South wall of south transept (Morshead chapel) rebuilt in C19. Restored in 1896 by F. C. Eden. Exterior: Tower of 3 stages with rectangular stair projection on north east corner. Battlemented parapet and crocketted finials. Circa C15 Perpendicular tracery to belfry lights; circa C16 tracery in north chancel aisle; triple lancet Early English chancel window, C15 and C19 Perpendicular tracery to south aisle. Separate entrance to south transept chapel. Gabled south porch with C15 4-centred arch, sundial (1780), holy water stoup, restored circa late C15 waggon roof. Interior: C19 plastered walls and remains of circa C19 painted texts on east wall of chancel. Sealed waggon roofs of high quality circa mid to late C15. Unmoulded 2- centred tower arch with impost mouldings. 6 bay arcade to south aisle with 4-centred moulded arches and type A (Pevsner) piers. Similar arch to south transept. 3-bay north chancel aisles of similar design but with carved capitals, the western bay forming the north transept arch. Rood loft stair intact. Fine rood screen by F. C. Eden, 1896. C15 octagonal font and Norman font bowl of Pentewan stone on later C20 stem and base. Timber pulpit with sounding board; probably late C17 with fine carved timber decoration. Royal Arms 1604. C17 communion table and circa mid C17 chest with carved panels at west end of south aisle. Memorials include brass of 1410 (Joh'is Balsam, rector) and several good C17 ledger stones. Fine church to south of village green. Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall 1975 Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1867, reprinted 1974. Church guide.



Listing NGR: SX1004073122

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
67343
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11956/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].