CHURCH OF ST GENESIUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1142413
Date first listed:
29-Sep-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GENESIUS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GENESIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142413.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 04:53:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GENESIUS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Gennys
National Grid Reference:
SX 14896 97173

Details

ST GENNYS ST GENNYS SX 19 NW 4/62 Church of St Genesius 29.9.61 I

Parish church. Lower stages of tower C12, aisles and porch C15, chancel earlier than aisles. Restoration of 1871 by James P St Aubyn, restoration of 1910 by E H sedding who added tower buttresses and rebuilt upper stage. Slatestone rubble, porch facade granite ashlar, south aisle windows granite, north aisle windows originally polyphant, largely replaced in hatherleigh. Slate roof, pretty slate bargeboarding to aisle gables. 3-stage west tower with set back buttresses with set offs and decoration of engaged finials. C12 window openings to lower stages of tower, belfry openings, paired cinquefoil-headed lights in square-headed openings under hoodmoulds. 4-bay north and south aisles with 3-light square-headed windows. North aisle has single massive buttress and blocked door. Porch entrance with moulded arch beneath square head, blind quatrefoils in spandrels. Stone benches, stoup and moulded inner door to porch. Priest's door on south side of chancel. Unmoulded C12 tower arch. South arcade and west bay of north arcade C15 octagonal granite piers carrying double-chamfered, 4-centred arches; east bays of north arcade polyphant piers of unused section; 8 hollows with 4 engaged shafts and fillets between. Moulded capitals with fleurons and cresting and richly-moulded arches. 1871 roofs throughout. 2 tiers of wind-bracking. Paired truss forms chancel arch. C12 greenstone square font with blank arches on faces set on renewed granite base and Purbeck shafts. Set in north wall of north aisle fine slate memorial with coat of arms to the children of William Heo, dated 1693. 2 fine slate memorials to William Braddon, died 1694 (q.v. Treworgie Barton) and Henry Braddon, died 1711, fixed to south chancel wall. Other C18 and C19 slate memorials set in nave floor. 2 C15 bench ends in litany desk. C17 altar table at east end of north aisle. First World War memorial window at east end of south aisle by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. St Aubyn raised the level of the chancel floor and roof, Kellys Directory, 1883.

Listing NGR: SX1489697176

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
67249
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1883)
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/41988

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/11643/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].