Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1142437

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST DENIS


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST DENIS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142437 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 20:21:37.


Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST DENIS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: North Tamerton

National Grid Reference: SX 31195 97327


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


NORTH TAMERTON SX 39 Nbl 8/26 Church of St Denis 29.9.61 GV I

Parish church. Early C15. Restored in 1875 when chancel was rebuilt and north vestry added. Stone rubble with granite freestone dressings. Comprising nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch, west tower and north vestry. Nave and chancel in one and full length south aisle. Chancel appears to be entirely rebuilt (straight joints at east end and north side, and absence of plinth moulding unlike remainder of church). On north side of chancel reused window, probably from west end of north side of nave. C19 chancel east window of 5-lights with Perpendicular style tracery. The nave and south aisle have flush granite bands at sill and arch springing levels and hollow chamfered plinth moulding and eaves. 2 nave north windows and 1 north chancel window with straight heads with carved label stops and cusped heads to lights. Polygonal ashlar rood stair turret on north side of nave. Four south windows and west window of south aisle of 3-lights with rectilinear/Perpendicular tracery and pointed arches. The east window of south aisle has Perpendicular Tracery with intersecting bars. Four-centre arch south doorway with roll-mould between 2 chamfers. South porch with hollow chamfer and roll-moulded pointed arch, sunken spandrels and label. Porch has ceiled wagon roof with carved running foliage ribs and wall plate and carved bosses. Holy water stoup. Slate sundial in gable of porch dated 1828. Fine tall unbuttressed west tower in 3 stages with slight batter. Weathered string courses and moulded cornice below embattled parapet and large octagonal crenellated pinnacles with crockets. Moulded plinth with deep frieze of panels containing roundels with mouchettes, trefoils, quatrefoils, Star of David etc. Bell-openings with blind tracery, 3 cusped lights, colonnettes and slate louvres. Moulded west doorway with quatrefoils in spandrels and label, and with 3-light west window above with Perpendicular rectilinear tracery. Internal tower stairs with loops on north-west corner. Late C19 vestry on west end of north side of nave. Interior: 5-bay south arcade with monolithic granite piers of Cornish standard A-type (Pevsner) with moulded capitals and bases and wide moulded 4-centred arches. Tall moulded tower arch with standard A-type (Pevsner) responds, and chamfered ogee doorway to tower stairs. Plain unmoulded granite rear arches. Restored nave roof of unceiled barrel (plaster removed) with arch braces to collars. Wooden chancel arch with old carved pieces applied. Late C19 unceiled wagon roof to chancel with carved bosses. C15 ceiled wagon roof to south aisle with moulded ribs, carved bosses and carved running vine wall plate. Rood stair door to rood loft blocked and screen removed. Small simple round arch piscina in south wall of chancel and another simple pointed arch piscina on south side of south aisle. Circa early C16 carved bench ends, reused in C19 benches, 2 in choir stalls have carved animals on top. Circa C17 Hexagonal carved wooden pulpit. C12 font with rough round bowl and later stem. Late C19 glazed tile reredos and wrought iron altar rail. Some late C19 and early C20 stained glass. Small brass at east end of south wall of aisle to Leonard Loves, died 1576 of Ogbeare Hall, North Tamerton, q.v. Interior of bell chamber not inspected. Decoratively carved and inscribed slate to Walter Robins, died 1706, at east end of south side of aisle.

Listing NGR: SX3119697329


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67213

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing