BRIDGE OVER MOAT, 12 METRES SOUTH OF TOLLESHUNT D'ARCY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1142514

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Feb-1987

Statutory Address: BRIDGE OVER MOAT, 12 METRES SOUTH OF TOLLESHUNT D'ARCY, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE OVER MOAT, 12 METRES SOUTH OF TOLLESHUNT D'ARCY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142514 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 04:10:07.

Location

Statutory Address: BRIDGE OVER MOAT, 12 METRES SOUTH OF TOLLESHUNT D'ARCY, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Tolleshunt D'arcy

National Grid Reference: TL 92820 11584

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESHUNT D'ARCY CHURCH STREET TL 9211-9311 (east side) 7/56 Bridge over moat, 12 10.1.53 metres south of Tolleshunt D'Arcy (Formerly listed as The Hall, GV Tolleshunt D'Arcy with II* Dovecote and Bridge)

Bridge. 1585. Red brick in English bond and limestone ashlar in alternate bands. Aligned NE-SW, crossing the moat with 4 brick arches. Original moulded V-copings on walls. At the S end, 2 square brick piers with moulded stone caps (one restored). Each has a stone tablet with carved achievement of arms. The SW pier has also a stone tablet inscribed 'Ao. Regny Regina Elyzabeth 27', and the SE pier a stone tablet inscribed 'Ao. Dni. 1585'. At the inner (NE) end the walls of the bridge turn at a short radius to form a continuing structure with the wall of the moat, listed separately as item 7/59. RCHM 2.

Listing NGR: TL9282011584

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 353169

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex North East, (1922)

End of official listing