This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OXLEY GREEN FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OXLEY GREEN FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1142520

Location

OXLEY GREEN FARMHOUSE, OXLEY HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tolleshunt D'arcy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 353188

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TOLLESHUNT D'ARCY OXLEY HILL TL 91 SW (south-west side) 3/76 Oxley Green Farmhouse - II

House. Early C19, or earlier. Timber framed, roughcast rendered, roofed with concrete tiles. 4 bays facing SE, with internal stack at right end and external stack at left end. Parallel narrower service range to rear, with C19 lean-to extension to rear of it. One storey with attics. Ground floor, 2 early C20 sashes. First floor, 2 early C19 sashes of 16 lights, with some handmade glass. Central C20 half-glazed door. Central stair. Chamfered transverse beam with lamb's tongue stops of unusual elongated design in left ground-floor roan, boxed transverse beam in other ground-floor room. Formerly the house of a miller, associated with a post mill which stood immediately to the SW from 1811, and combined with a farm holding of 9 acres from 1851. The mill had a single-storey brick roundhouse, tailpole, and 2 pairs of French stones. Steam power was added in 1886, but wind operation continued until c.1914. The mill was demolished c.1920. (K.T. Farries, Essex Windmills, Millers and Millwrights, V, forthcoming).

Listing NGR: TL9108214267

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farries, K G, Essex Windmills Millers and Millwrights, (1981)

National Grid Reference: TL 91082 14267

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142520 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 01:01:56.

End of official listing