REDRUTH METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142541

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: REDRUTH METHODIST CHURCH, WESLEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of REDRUTH METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142541 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 04:16:40.

Location

Statutory Address: REDRUTH METHODIST CHURCH, WESLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Redruth

National Grid Reference: SW 70125 42078

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDRUTH WESLEY STREET SW 74 SW (south side) 11/316 Redruth Methodist Church GV II Methodist church. Dated 1826 in gable. Granite ashlar facade; otherwise, slobbered granite rubble; slate roof. Rectangular plan, 6 x 8 bays, gable to road. Two storeys and 6 bays, symmetrical, in simple classical style; the pedimented facade has a 1st floor band (carried round the whole), and a 4-bay ground floor colonnade between projected porches to the 1st and 6th bays; the porches, which are of channelled masonry, rectangular in plan and flat-roofed, each have a large round-headed doorway with rusticated voussoirs and large keystone; the colonnade, of slender Tuscan columns with a plain frieze, protects round-headed doorways in the 2nd and 5th bays, and round-headed windows in the 3rd and 4th bays; all these doorways have panelled double doors with quadrantal overlights; between the windows is an added war memorial. The 1st floor has 6 round- headed windows, and the pedimented gable contains panels with raised lettering:- "WESLEY" "1826" "CHAPEL" and added lettering below this:- "REDRUTH METHODIST CHURCH" " The return walls have 8 round-headed windows on each floor. Interior: a continuous gallery carried on fluted iron columns with foliated capitals, the gallery front having rounded open panels containing cast bronze open-work; flat ceiling with pierced roundels; very ornate late C19 pulpit, and on the wall behind this, 3 round-headed wooden Commandment Tables; large and ornamental organ case mounted on gallery above pulpit.

Listing NGR: SW7012542078

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66881

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/142831
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/9330

End of official listing