This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WILTON'S WORKSHOP AT EAST END OF GARDEN TO REAR OF NO. 6

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WILTON'S WORKSHOP AT EAST END OF GARDEN TO REAR OF NO. 6

List entry Number: 1142551

Location

WILTON'S WORKSHOP AT EAST END OF GARDEN TO REAR OF NO. 6, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Day

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66908

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST DAY CHURCH STREET SW 74 SW (east side) 11/343 Wilton's workshop at east end of garden to rear of No.6 GV II Workshop of mathematical instrument maker W.H.Wilton, now partly used as garage. Probably 1840's. Uncoursed rubble and timber-clad timber-framing, scantle slate roof. Rectangular plan on east-west axis. Two storeys; the east gable wall (which is the rear) has garage doors at ground floor, and is weather- boarded above, with a door to the left and coupled rectangular vertically-glazed windows to the right; the south side has a weather-boarded 1st floor with 3 square 8-pane fixed windows. The principal elevations, to north and west (not accessible at time of survey) probably have workshop fenestration similar to that of the carpenter's shop in Telegraph Street (item 11/361, q.v.). History: occupied by W.H.Wilton, maker of mathematical instruments (especially those used in surveying for mining) between later 1840's and 1876, when he emigrated to Valparaiso.

Listing NGR: SW7308342512

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 73083 42512

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142551 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 05:57:46.

End of official listing