This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WINDING ENGINE HOUSE TO PASCOE'S SHAFT ON SOUTH WHEAL FRANCES SETT SW 677 392

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WINDING ENGINE HOUSE TO PASCOE'S SHAFT ON SOUTH WHEAL FRANCES SETT SW 677 392

List entry Number: 1142598

Location

WINDING ENGINE HOUSE TO PASCOE'S SHAFT ON SOUTH WHEAL FRANCES SETT SW 677 392

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Carn Brea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66730

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARN BREA TRESKILLARD SW 63 NE 8/174 Winding engine house to Pascoe's shaft on South Wheal Frances sett at SW 677 392

GV II Winding engine house (or "whim") to former tin mine, now derelict. 1878, for South Frances Mine. Uncoursed granite rubble with quoins, bob wall of large dressed granite blocks, window arches of yellow brick, brick upper stage to chimney; now roofless. Rectangular plan on north-east/south-west axis, with bob wall to north-east, winder loadings in front of this, chimney attached at south- west corner and remains of boiler house attached to south side. Three stages, with round-headed openings, including driver's window in bob wall, and raised doorway in rear wall. Tapered cylindrical chimney with moulded brick cornices to both stages. Prominent loadings in front of bob wall. Large boiler house on parallel axis mostly dilapidated, but north-east gable wall survives intact. History: built in period of expansion after driving from Pascoe's shaft encountered the Great Flat Lode in 1876; contained 36-inch cylinder. Reference: Palmer and Neaverson, op.cit.

Listing NGR: SW6770039200

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, M, Neaverson, P, 'British Mining' in The Basset Mines their History and Industrial Archaeology, (1987)

National Grid Reference: SW 67758 39295

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142598 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:31:39.

End of official listing