VANNER HOUSE TO WHEAL BASSET MINE AT SW 691 398

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142616

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: VANNER HOUSE TO WHEAL BASSET MINE AT SW 691 398

Map

Ordnance survey map of VANNER HOUSE TO WHEAL BASSET MINE AT SW 691 398
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142616 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 00:56:57.

Location

Statutory Address: VANNER HOUSE TO WHEAL BASSET MINE AT SW 691 398

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Carn Brea

National Grid Reference: SW 69125 39894

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARN BREA CARNKIE SW 63 NE 8/127 Vanner house to Wheal Basset Mine at SW 691 398 GV II

Vanner house to former tin mine, now derelict. c.1908, altered in 1930's. Mixed granite and kilias rubble with granite quoins and brick arches to openings; roof missing. Long rectangular building, approx. 48x12 metres, on east-west axis parallel to former stamps on south side. Single storey; 13-bay north wall with large round-headed window openings, doorways in centre and at left end. End walls now twin gabled (altered to make 2-span roof in 1930's), that at east end with one round-headed window in each gable and the other altered and damaged. North side has some similar windows, and large rectangular opening in centre, opposite engine house. Interior: concrete foundations for separators, classifiers, etc. History: built as a late addition to tin-mining operations at Wheal Basset, to house Frue Vanners for dressing ore. Now a relatively rare type of building, and the central element of a group conspicuously sited on the northern slope of Carnmenellis. Reference: Marilyn Palmer & Peter Neaverson The Basset Mines, their History and Industrial Archaeology (British Mining No.32, 1987).

Listing NGR: SW6910039800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66675

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, M, Neaverson, P, 'British Mining' in The Basset Mines their History and Industrial Archaeology, (1987)

End of official listing