This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STAMPS ENGINE HOUSE TO WEST BASSET STAMPS ON NORTH WHEAL BASSET SETT AT SW 687 402

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STAMPS ENGINE HOUSE TO WEST BASSET STAMPS ON NORTH WHEAL BASSET SETT AT SW 687 402

List entry Number: 1142621

Location

STAMPS ENGINE HOUSE TO WEST BASSET STAMPS ON NORTH WHEAL BASSET SETT AT SW 687 402

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Carn Brea

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66683

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARN BREA CARNKIE SW 64 SE 5/135 Stamps engine house to West Basset Stamps on North Wheal Basset sett at SW 687 402

GV II Stamps engine house at tin ore dressing plant of former West Basset Mine; now derelict. 1874. Uncoursed granite rubble, with bob walls of granite blocks, brick arches to windows; now roofless. Built on a raised terrace overlooking dressing floors. Rectangular plan on north-west/south-east axis, with principal bob wall to south-east. Three stages; round headed openings including driver's window in bob wall and large cylinder door in north-east side; thick rear wall has smaller beam opening for secondary engine which pumped water; in front of bob wall, altered loadings for former flywheels. History: erected when West Basset Mine took over northern half of former North Basset Mine; contained 40-inch cylinder engine driving two banks of 32 heads of stamps (a further 16 heads added in 1877), and a secondary beam which pumped recirculated water from the bottom of the dressing floors. Very prominent building on site which is probably unique in Cornwall. Reference: Palmer & Neaverson op.cit.

Listing NGR: SW6870040200

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, M, Neaverson, P, 'British Mining' in The Basset Mines their History and Industrial Archaeology, (1987)

National Grid Reference: SW 68780 40225

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142621 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:11:21.

End of official listing