This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE DONALD THOMAS CENTRE, WITH FORECOURT RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE DONALD THOMAS CENTRE, WITH FORECOURT RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1142652

Location

THE DONALD THOMAS CENTRE, WITH FORECOURT RAILINGS, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Camborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Sep-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66573

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMBORNE CHAPEL STREET SW 64 SW (west side) 10/28 The Donald Thomas Centre, with 1.12.51 forecourt railings (formerly listed as The Literary Institute)

GV II*

Literary Institute, now social centre. 1842, enlarged 1852; altered. Granite ashlar, slate roof. T-plan formed by hall at right-angles to the street flanked by small wings; plus later extensions to the rear. Greek Revival style. All single storey, but the hall much taller, presenting a giant Doric portico, distyle in antis, with triglyph frieze and mutule pediment, protecting a central doorway with simple pedimented surround and 2 round- headed windows with moulded architraves and keystones, and glazing with coloured margin panes. The wings, at right-angles to the hall, each have clasping corner pilasters, a sashed window with sill-band and shouldered architrave (4- and 12-paned respectively), and entablature with simplified triglyphs and guttae; their gable walls are pedimented, with a triglyph frieze. Forecourt enclosed by simple spear railings with wrought-iron gates. To the rear of the right-hand (north) wing is a former lecture hall, added in 1852, which is stuccoed, with vermiculated quoins and surrounds to openings, a tripartite window to the 1st portion, and a round-headed doorway with a shallow porch, flanked by tall round-headed windows on a high level. Interior altered. History: Camborne Literary Institute founded in 1829, this building erected on site given by Richard Vivyan and formerly occupied by 1st Methodist chapel in Camborne.

Listing NGR: SW6469340052

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 64693 40052

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:27:42.

End of official listing