This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARISH VESTRY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH VESTRY

List entry Number: 1142654

Location

PARISH VESTRY, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Camborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66576

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMBORNE CHURCH LANE SW 63 NW (south side) 10/31 Parish Vestry GV II

Parish Vestry building. Dated 1820 on lintel of former door in rear wall, altered. Facade of snecked killas rubble with granite quoins but covered with render above ground floor, sides and rear of uncoursed rubble; slate roof. Rectangular plan, gable to road but facing churchyard, with added porch at north end. Two storeys; the facade to the churchyard is of 3 bays under 2 gables, symmetrical, in Tudor style, with 3 wide Tudor-arched openings at ground floor (a window and 2 doorways) and 3 windows at 1st floor, all with chamfered surrounds and hoodmoulds and all the windows of 2 lights with chamfered mullions and diamond leaded glazing (but that at ground floor boarded at time of survey, 1988); a rectangular granite panel in each gable, and gable copings with apex finials. The left (north) gable wall has a flight of external steps to a doorway at 1st floor, protected by a brick porch of c.1900; and to the left of this a large rendered panel with pilastered architrave and stilted segmental head enclosing raised lettering "PARISH VESTRY". The rear has inter alia a former doorway with lintel inscribed "1820". Interior not inspected. History: ground floor was used as lock-up 1820-1858. Probably erected in consequence of Sturges Bourne's Act of 1819, which empowered parishes to appoint select vestries "for more effectual execution of the laws for the relief of the poor" (the style being a reference to the Tudor origins of the Poor law); as such, a rare survival of a building for this purpose, and the earliest Local Government building in the area covered by this list.

Listing NGR: SW6457039984

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 64569 39984

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:15:26.

End of official listing