This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PENPONDS METHODIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENPONDS METHODIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1142655

Location

PENPONDS METHODIST CHURCH, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Camborne

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 66577

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMBORNE CHURCH ROAD SW 63 NW Penponds 7/32 (west side) Penponds Methodist Church GV II

Bible Christians Chapel, now Methodist church. Dated 1844 in gable. Gabled facade of snecked killas with granite quoins, sides and rear of slobbered and painted uncoursed rubble; slate roof. Small building, rectangular in plan, gable to road. Two storeys; the gabled facade has 2 tall round- headed 18-pane sashed windows with radiating glazing bars, and painted brick heads, and above and between these a granite datestone inscribed "BIBLE CHRISTIANS CHAPEL. 1844" The south side has a gabled porch offset to the right, with a doorway in its front (right-hand side) wall and a lancet in its gable wall; attached to the chapel wall in front of the porch, a wooden notice board in the form of an Ionic aedicule with fluted colonettes and open pediment with egg- and-dart decoration; to the rear of the porch, 2 tall 18-pane sashed windows. The north side wall has 2 similar windows in opposed positions. Continued to the rear and on a slightly lower level is a small Sunday School which has a doorway in its south side and one 4-pane sashed window in each side. Interior: small, and little altered: gallery at east end supported by 2 cast-iron Tuscan columns, with ornamental iron openwork balustrade, reached by a 1/4-turn staircase at the south end; basket-arched choir gallery at east end (with added organ on this, originally hand-pumped and pump handle still in situ); rostrum with turned balusters; benches with painted oval metal numbers on the ends, and umbrella brackets; small Sunday School room into which the raked rear end of the choir gallery projects, supported by 2 iron columns. A simple building redolent of its period.

Listing NGR: SW6356339248

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 63563 39248

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142655 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:23:05.

End of official listing