This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WHITEWALLS FARMHOUSE, OUTBUILDINGS TO REAR AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT AND TO REAR RIGHT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WHITEWALLS FARMHOUSE, OUTBUILDINGS TO REAR AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT AND TO REAR RIGHT

List entry Number: 1142722

Location

WHITEWALLS FARMHOUSE, OUTBUILDINGS TO REAR AND GARDEN WALL TO FRONT LEFT AND RIGHT AND TO REAR RIGHT

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Advent

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68469

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ADVENT SX 18 SW 5/24 Whitewalls Farmhouse, outbuildings - to rear and garden wall to front left and right and to rear right II

Farmhouse, outbuildings and garden wall. Possibly late C18 with earlier origins. Granite ashlar and stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends. Stone rubble stack on left hand gable end and stone rubble axial stack to right of centre. Plan: Interesting plan although the exact arrangement is uncertain. The house appears to be of single depth plan with an outshot added across the rear with further outbuildings to rear and integral farmbuildings to right. The main range comprises a house of at least 2 room single depth plan, the entrance in the rear elevation, directly into the larger hall kitchen which is heated by an end stack on the left and smaller room on right heated by an axial stack. Beyond this room, to the right is an integral farm building which appears to have been a stable or shippon with a loft above, approached by a flight of steps on the rear. Although this shippon or stable seems contemporary with the house, it appears always to have been used for an agricultural purpose and always to have had a separate entrance. The house may have continued to the left although the front wall is only a facade with steps to rear which lead up the steep bank on left to the field above. To the rear of the main range is an outshot which was probably added in the C19 with a series of small outbuildngs of uncertain purpose enclosed to right by an ashlar granite wall. Exterior : 2 storeys. Regular 3 window front with 2 window openings on ground floor lighting 2 rooms of house and 3 above, the right hand window lighting the loft above the shippon or stable. The front wall continues to left forming a facade with a row of pigeon holes. Rear elevation: entrance to rear left with probably reused chamfered granite lintel. Entrance to loft on rear right with stone rubble and granite steps. Interior : Fireplace to left hand room partly blocked by Rayburn stove and C20 tiled grate in right hand room. C19 ceiling beams and late C18 and C19 timber partitions flanking simple softwood late C19 stair. Roof structure not accessible although the roof structure above the stable and loft appears to be early C19, the principals with lap-jointed and pegged apices. Retaining wall to steep bank on front left of huge blocks of granite ashlar. Wall continuing to front and rear of right hand gable end of granite ashlar. In 1821 a Bryanite meeting was held at William Alford's house at Whitewalls and the Bible Christian Magazine of 1876 records that preaching was held at the farm 'for upwards of forty years'. Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963 1963.

Listing NGR: SX1191580685

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Shaw, T, Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, (1963)

National Grid Reference: SX1191580685

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142722 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 12:06:41.

End of official listing