SLAUGHTERBRIDGE 500 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF WORTHY MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1142724
Date first listed:
13-Jan-1988
Statutory Address:
SLAUGHTERBRIDGE 500 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF WORTHY MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of SLAUGHTERBRIDGE 500 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF WORTHY MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142724 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 04:44:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
SLAUGHTERBRIDGE 500 METRES TO SOUTH EAST OF WORTHY MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Camelford
District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Forrabury and Minster
National Grid Reference:
SX 10927 85517

Details

SX 18 NW 2/34

FORRABURY AND MINSTER CAMELFORD, PART IN

Slaughter bridge 500 metres to south east of Worthyvale Manor

GV II

Roadbridge over River Camel. Probably C18. Slate stone rubble and granite. Central span with 2 narrower spans flanking, all 3 with roughly cut granite lintels. 2 stone rubble cutwaters. The slate stone rubble parapets have been partly renewed and are splayed over the abutments. Traditionally associated with the site of King Arthur's last battle. King Arthur's stone which probably commemorates Catinus, son of Magarus is sited nearby at SX109856 and is scheduled as an Ancient Monument. The name may derive from the word 'slohtre' meaning a marsh or muddy place.

Henderson, C. and Coates, H. Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, 1928 reprinted 1972.

Canner, A. C. The Parish of Tintagel, some historical notes, 1982.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1143488. This entry was removed from the List on 3rd August 2015.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68478
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928)
Other
Canner, AC , The Parish of Tintagel some historical notes, 1982,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/13309/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Brighton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].