This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

POLSON BRIDGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: POLSON BRIDGE

List entry Number: 1142732

Location

POLSON BRIDGE, A 388

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lawhitton Rural

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lifton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-May-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68403

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LAWHITTON RURAL SX 38 SE 4/8

A388

Polson Bridge

II

Three span road bridge carrying A388 (previously A30) over River Tamar. Circa 1833, centre arch rebuilt using original materials 1934-5. Granite ashlar with slate-stone rubble abutments and granite coping. Central wide segmental arch with pointed voussoirs struck through to soffit flanked by narrower segmental arches. Flat string course with projecting rectangular pier to either side of centre arch continues to abutments. Abutments on south bank of river have segmental floodwater arches, that on west side with projecting keystones to arches and triangular cutwater between. Spans the River Tamar, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Lawhitton Rural (Cornwall), Launceston (Cornwall) and Lifton (Devon). Built on the site of a medieval bridge on the principal route into Cornwall. Henderson and Coates 1928 p.46-48. Date given 1851.

The asset was previously listed twice also at List entry 1326331. That entry was removed from the List on 22 September 2016.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22 September 2016.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Balchin, WGV, The Cornish Landscape, (1983), 177-8
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928), 46-48

National Grid Reference: SX3556384920

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142732 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 06:42:56.

End of official listing