Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142735

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1991



Ordnance survey map of TOLPETHERWIN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142735 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 08:21:41.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: South Petherwin

National Grid Reference: SX2700982108


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SOUTH PETHERWIN - SX28SE Tolpetherwin Farmhouse 1/9 GV II Farmhouse. Circa Mid C18 probably 1746 the date on 'gateway arch immediately south east' qv. Rougcast stone rubble the front hung with rag slates. Rag slate steeply pitched hipped roof with C19 crested ridge tiles. Large external stone rubble stacks at sides with tall shafts, the right hand rendered and with later second shaft added. Double depth plan. The single storey wing behind the dairy (left) is a C19 addition and in the angle there is a C20 porch. 2 storey. Symmetrical 3-window south front. Original window openings with slate sills and C20 casements. Central doorway with C18 6-panel door and small rectangular fanlight with glazing bars. The C19 gabled porch retains square granite monolith columns, with moulded capitals and necking, from the original porch; C19 red brick sides to porch. To the rear the main roof carried down over 2-storey integral outshut with C20 casements and C20 central porch in angle with small C19 single storey wing right. Small single storey outshut on right (east) side with granite monolith posts. Interior: Much of the original C18 joinery survives including complete set of 2- panel doors, some with fielded panels, and original dog-leg staircase with moulded string, moulded handrail square newels and turned balusters (boxed in). Elliptical arch on landing. Entrance hall has original cyma moulded plaster cornice . Right hand room, original kitchen has large fireplace with cambered arch and brick-lined bread oven. Chimney pieces removed from both front room fireplaces. Dairy to rear left has stale shelves and large granite salting trough. Note: Probably built in 1746 for John and Ann Hickes, whose names are inscribed on the 'Gateway Arch immediately south east of Tolpetherwin Farmhouse'(qv).

Listing NGR: SX2700982108


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68414

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing