FENTRIGAN FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142868

Date first listed: 01-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jan-1989

Statutory Address: FENTRIGAN FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FENTRIGAN FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142868 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 16:11:37.

Location

Statutory Address: FENTRIGAN FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Warbstow

National Grid Reference: SX1915090801

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WARBSTOW SX 19 SE 2/230 Fentrigan Farmhouse (formerly listed as Fentrigan House) 1.12.51 II

Farmhouse. Probably C17 origins remodelled in the C19 and C20. Stone rubble. Rag slate roof with gable ends. Stone rubble axial stack to left of centre and end stack to right. Plan: Original plan uncertain. The house was probably much larger and has been reduced to a 2-room and cross or through passage plan, heated by end stacks. Further extended in circa later C19 with 1-room plan range on left, heated by fireplace served by the originally end stack on left. The house appears to have been truncated on the right hand end with circa C19 outbuildings now adjoining on right. There is a service outshut across the rear which has been partly rebuilt in the C20. The owner remembers further buildings to the front of the house, forming a courtyard. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 1:3 window front with dressed unmoulded granite lintels to ground floor openings and brick segmental arches to first floor. Earlier range on right has an almost symmetrical front with a C20 door flanked by a C20 P.V.C. window to left and C20 2-light casement to right. Three 4-pane sashes on first floor. Extension to left has a C20 door on the ground floor and C20 P.V.C. window above. Interior: Only left hand room inspected. The owner states that the ceiling beams and roof timbers have been replaced and the fireplaces covered over. The manor of Fentrigan appertained to Tywardreath priory prior to 1540 when it was annexed to the Duchy. It has remained in the hands of the Grigg family from the C17. The hearth tax returns for 1664 record that John Grigg had five hearths, one fallen down and one "stopt up". Polsue, J. Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall reprinted 1972. Stoate, T.L. Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664

Listing NGR: SX1915090801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68118

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Stoate, T L , Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664, (1981)

End of official listing