CHURCH OF ST PATERNUS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1142903
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PATERNUS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PATERNUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142903.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 15:11:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PATERNUS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
North Petherwin
National Grid Reference:
SX 28196 89626

Details

NORTH PETHERWIN SX 28 NE 8/109 Church of St Paternus 23.8.57 GV I

Parish church. Norman origins, extended in C15 and restored in 1878. Stone rubble with moulded plinth. West tower of large ashlar blocks and moulded plinth and strings. Slate roof, nave and chancel in one. Plan: Comprises nave, chancel, north and south aisles and north and south porches with west tower. 3-bay arcade to north aisle with Norman piers and later C14 arches; remains of fourth bay to east. In circa C15 a further 2 bay arcade was added to the east end of the earlier north aisle. C15 5-bay south aisle. Church restored in 1878. Exterior: Lofty west tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses with set off. Moulded plinth and strings, battlemented parapet and crocketted finials. Circa C19 polyphant stone 4-centred arch to west door with 3-light Perpendicular west window and 2-light belfry openings with slate louvers. North-east and south aisle and chancel with C15 3-light Perpendicular tracery. Two 2-light cusped clerestory windows light upper walls of nave, above earlier north aisle. North porch rebuilt in C19. South porch has C15 granite arch with carved spandrels, sundial and south door with reset early wrought iron hinges. Remains of C15 waggon roof. Interior: Lofty interior with high roofs and arcades. C19 roof to nave and boarded waggon roof to chancel with some C15 remains of wall plate, moulded ribs and carved bosses. Eastern most bay painted. C15 waggon roof to south aisle. 3-bay arcade to western part of north aisle with round Norman piers with scalloped capitals and later circa C14 2-centred arcade arches with the remains of a fourth arch to the east. Continuing to the east circa C15 2-bay arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers. Circa C15 5-bay arcade to south aisle with type A (Pevsner) piers. Remains of C15 chancel screen. C19 painted and gilded altar table and reredos and stencilled patterns on east wall of chancel. C19 furnishing with some remains of C16 bench ends in north aisle. Norman font with octagonal granite bowl, greenstone octagonal shaft and square base. Rood loft stair in projection on north aisle. 1685 (datestone) altar rails reset as tower screen. Memorials include those to Leonard Yeo (1624), Grace Seccom of Wibworthy (qv Webworthy) (1619), An Yeo (1633) and monument to Denis Kingdon of Barton (qv) (1851). Photograph on north wall of church dated 1876 showing interior of church prior to restoration. The arcade and plan of the church are illustrated by Sedding. Pevsner, N. and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall. 2nd edition 1970. Sedding, E.H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall. 1909

Listing NGR: SX2819689626

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68004
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10754/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].