Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1142918

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1960

Statutory Address: STABLES


Ordnance survey map of STABLES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142918 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 05:12:21.


Statutory Address: STABLES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Egloskerry

National Grid Reference: SX 26762 88099


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


EGLOSKERRY PENHEALE SI 28 NE 8/55 Stables 22.11.60


Stables. 1620 (datestone) for Sir John Specott. Snecked stone with moulded plinth and strings. Steeply pitched slate roof with hipped ends. Stone rubble axial and rear lateral stacks. Plan: Main range of overall rectangular plan containing stables with loft and accommodation for stable hands above. Garages in shallow wing to rear left and farmhouse in shallow wing to rear right. Exterior: Two storeys. Symmetrical front of 9 bays with moulded plinth and continuous moulded string. Central entrance remodelled in 1676 (R. Edwards); rounded granite arch with hood mould and segmental arched pediment above formed by the raising of the string course. Flanked on either side by 3 granite mullion and transom window openings with low granite rounded arched openings in the third and seventh bays, the arches with hood moulds and triangular pediments above. On the first floor is a central loft opening , also remodelled in 1676 (R. Edwards), which is raised slightly above the eaves level with a rounded granite arch, hood mould and triangular pediment. 4 ventilation slits to left and right. The rear elevation has garage doors to rear left and C17 mullion and transom windows which light the farmhouse in the wing to rear right. Interior: Not accessible although the owner states that there are complete probably C18 stalls and loose boxes. Edwards, R. 'Penheale Manor House' Country Life March 28, 1925.

Listing NGR: SX2666488001


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67945

Legacy System: LBS


Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

End of official listing