HELLESCOTT BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142928

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1989

Statutory Address: HELLESCOTT BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HELLESCOTT BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142928 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 10:58:57.

Location

Statutory Address: HELLESCOTT BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: North Petherwin

National Grid Reference: SX2853487786

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 28 NE 8/22

NORTH PETHERWIN PART IN EGLOSKERRY Hellescott Bridge

II

Road bridge and causeway. Circa late C18 with earlier abutments. Widened to east in late C19 and parapets partly rebuilt in C20. Stone rubble with granite dressings to west face of arch. Road bridge over river Ottery with roadway originally only six feet wide. The circa late C18 dressed granite segmental arch on the west side has a large keystone and the finely dressed abutments are probably earlier. The bridge was widened to the east in the late C19 and has a rounded slate stone rubble segmental arch. The causeway which crosses the lush water meadows on the south has a series of stone rubble flood arches which have been extended to the east in the late C19 to enable the road to be widened. Henderson records that the bridge had two nine foot wide arches in 1809 and a roadway which was six feet wide. Henderson, C. and Coates, H. Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, 1928,reprinted 1972

Listing NGR: SX2853487786

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67967

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928)

End of official listing