FORMER CHAPEL 40 METRES TO SOUTH EAST TINTEN MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143021

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-1988

Statutory Address: FORMER CHAPEL 40 METRES TO SOUTH EAST TINTEN MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHAPEL 40 METRES TO SOUTH EAST TINTEN MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143021 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 21:04:35.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CHAPEL 40 METRES TO SOUTH EAST TINTEN MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Tudy

National Grid Reference: SX0688675351

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST TUDY SX 07 NE 2/161 Former chapel 40 metres to south east Tinten Manor (formerly 6.6.69 listed as Chapel at Tintern Manor Farm)

GV II

Private chapel, now used as store. Circa C16 orgins, partly altered in early C18 (datestones RB 1708 and IB 1719) and front probably partly rebuilt in later C18 or early C19. Finely coursed slatestone rubble and quartz. Slate roof with gable ends. Plan: Rectangular plan with entrance in north side. Exterior: Single storey. North elevation probably partly rebuilt in late C18 or early C19 with 2 windows with dressed stone segmental arches flanking central C19 plank door. Datestone RB 1708 and IB 1719, (Bligh family) flanking the jambs of the door. Circa C15 east window of 3-lights with cusped heads; the mullions appear to have been altered because holes for the horizontal saddle bars do not align. Interior: Piscina with depressed arch in sough wall and chamfered rectangular opening of aumbry in north wall. A floor has been partly inserted at the west end and the roof has been replaced in the late C19 or early C20. In 1330 Ralph Beaupel was granted a license to celebrate Divine Office by a fit priest in an oratory in the mansion of Tynten (Bishop Grandisson's Reg. Vol II fo. 31) In 1396 a license was granted to John Ratheny, knight and Lady Alice his wife, to celebrate Divine office in the chapel of St Nicholas within the Manor of Tynten. Maclean, Sir John Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876.

Listing NGR: SX0688675351

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67791

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)

End of official listing