HINGHAM MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143046

Date first listed: 26-Sep-1984

Statutory Address: HINGHAM MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HINGHAM MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143046 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 07:52:29.

Location

Statutory Address: HINGHAM MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Egloshayle

National Grid Reference: SX0202472512

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EGLOSHAYLE SW 07 SW 4/10 Hingham Mill

26.9.84

GV II

Mill. Circa late C18 on site of early mill. Stone rubble with rear wall rebuilt in concrete block. Rag slate roof with half hipped ends. Undershot water wheel on left hand side. Plan: Overall rectangular plan with central entrance, water wheel on left hand side wall and entrance to low basement in rear. Mill race @ 5m long and up to 1.5m wide leads in to wheel from adjacent road on entrance side; lined with stone, some cement rendering, two stone steps at road end. Exterior: Two storey front elevation with circa C20 porch and 2-light casement to right and left. Rear elevation with stone rubble wall rebuilt in concrete block above basement. 3 2-light casements on ground and first floor. Timber undershot wheel on left, partly rebuilt in C20; socketted to metal hub, revolving on an iron axial shaft. Interior: Complete working machinery remains. Horizontal gearing operating 2 French Buhr runnerstones. A full description of the machinery is given by Benney, and Henderson provides a history of the mill, mentioned as fulling mill in 1420 and recorded in the Rent Rolls of the Manor of Bernier (qv Berniere) in 1540. The mill is complete retaining full working machinery and has an undershot wheel which is especially unusual in Cornwall. Benney, D E An introduction to Cornish Waterwheels 1972 Henderson, C 'Tucking Mills. Sites of Ancient Industry in the Duchy', Western Morning News and Mercury, April 26 1928. Henderson, C Essays in Cornish History, 1963.

Listing NGR: SX0202472512

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67644

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Benney, D E, An Introduction to Cornish Watermills, (1972)
Henderson, C, Essays in Cornish History, (1963)
'Western Morning News and Mercury' in 26 April, (1928)

End of official listing