WASHAWAY COURT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143058

Date first listed: 03-Aug-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Nov-1988

Statutory Address: WASHAWAY COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of WASHAWAY COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143058 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 09:11:05.

Location

Statutory Address: WASHAWAY COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Egloshayle

National Grid Reference: SX 03773 69789

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EGLOSHAYLE WASHAWAY SX 06 NW 7/40 Washaway Court (previously listed as Washaway Farmhouse) 3.8.76

GV II

Former posting house and inn converted to farmhouse in late C19 and to private house in late C20. Circa early C18 origins extensively altered in the late C20. Stone rubble. Slate roof with gable ends with hipped ends to higher wing to rear right. Brick axial stacks with side lateral stack ro rear wing. Plan: Overall 'L' shaped plan remodelled in late C20. The long low front range is of three room plan, extended on the left in the mid C19 with a stable range with loft above, converted into domestic accommodation in the late C20. The higher 2-storey wing on rear right comprises a courtroom on the first floor used for the monthly petty sessions for the Hundred of Trigg in the C19. Exterior: 2-storeys. Irregular 7 window front with brick segmental arches to openings. Rendered C19 porch with C20 door to right of centre with stable range to far left, now converted to domestic accommodation. Late C19 and C20 4-pane sashes with C19 2-light casement on first floor. Several straight joints in masonry on front, side and rear elevations. Interior: C19 and C20 joinery with several C18 2-panel doors. Courtroom in rear wing retains the magistrates dais and has an early C18 moulded cornice. Washaway Inn was used to hold the monthly petty sessions for the Hundred of Trigg until the 1870s. In the 1760 and 1770s a Venison Club was also held where neighbouring gentry dined several times a year. Maclean quotes the diary of a Mr. George Browne who dined at the club in 1768 and 1775 and who recorded several curious facts and incidents. Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876

Listing NGR: SX0377369789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67673

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)

End of official listing