WALLS AND GATES ENCLOSING THE GARDEN TO EAST AND NORTH OF LANHYDROCK HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1143090

Date first listed: 15-Apr-1988

Statutory Address: WALLS AND GATES ENCLOSING THE GARDEN TO EAST AND NORTH OF LANHYDROCK HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALLS AND GATES ENCLOSING THE GARDEN TO EAST AND NORTH OF LANHYDROCK HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143090 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 10:51:10.

Location

Statutory Address: WALLS AND GATES ENCLOSING THE GARDEN TO EAST AND NORTH OF LANHYDROCK HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lanhydrock

National Grid Reference: SX 08640 63627

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANHYDROCK LANHYDROCK PARK SX 06 SE 9/69 Walls and gates enclosing the - garden to east and north of Lanhydrock House

GV II*

Walls and gates, enclosing the garden to east and north. Dated 1857. By Sir George Gilbert Scott; the work probably carried out by R. Coad of Liskeard, Scott's pupil; for Thomas James Agar, who was later created Baron Robartes of Lanhydrock in 1869. Walls in granite ashlar, the lower part on the outer side in stone rubble. Cast iron gates. Plan: The walls enclose the garden to east and north of Lanhydrock House, and join the Gatehouse to the House, attached at the south to the coach house. In the range at the west side of the north garden, the walls have a flight of steps ramped up over an ornamental seat ; these steps lead up to the Church of St Hydroc. All gates are in cast iron, in a Gothic design by George Gilbert Scott. The walls are low, with embattled parapet, stepped with the levels of the terracing of the garden, with piers at intervals, which are surmounted by obelisks with ball finials. The south range has a single cast iron gate, and is about 40 metres long. The east range joins the gatehouse, and is continuous along the front of the garden. Returned in the north range for about 40 metres, with piers with obelisks at the corners. The wall is continue to enclose the north garden, which is about 30 metres by 50 metres, with a gateway with cast iron gate in the north range. In the west range is a flight of granite steps ramped up over an ornamental seat ; this has 4- centred arch and a granite bench, embattled parapet over and piers with obelisks and ball finials.

Listing NGR: SX0864063627

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67551

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 8 Cornwall and Isles of Scilly,

End of official listing