Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MEUBRED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143114.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 16:04:47.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 12307 68697


CARDINHAM CARDINHAM SX 16 NW 6/28 Church of St Meubred 6.6.69 GV I

Parish church. C15 ; sundial dated 1739, boss in porch dated 1830. Restoration and addition of vestry in late C19, Incorporated Church Building Society board dated 1896. Slatestone rubble with granite dressings ; porch and tower in granite ashlar. Slate roofs with ridge tiles, crested ridge tiles on nave and chancel, with raised coped verges in granite and cross finials to east. Plan: Nave and chancel in one, the chancel restored in C19 with the addition of a north vestry ; north aisle, south aisle with south porch ; west tower. Exterior: The nave is concealed by the aisles. The chancel has 3-light east window with Perpendicular tracery, 4-centred arch and hood mould. 2-light south window and lancet to north, 2-light window to north with 4-centred arched lights. Single storey north vestry with gable ends and cross finial, north door with pointed arch and 2- light east window with cusped lights. South aisle is on a chamfered plinth, of 6 bays with long and short granite quoins. All windows to south are 3-light, with cusped lights, Perpendicular tracery, 4- centred arch and hood mould. Similar 4-light east window with Y tracery, and similar 3-light west window. Slate tablet attached to south, to Nicholas Saunders, 1776. At the west end, both the south and north aisles have their gable ends cut back for the tower. The south porch is gabled, on a chamfered plinth, not continuous with the plinth to the aisle. Outer 4-centred arch doorway with colonnettes. Slate sundial set over, with gnomon, inscribed I. Batte and W. Coppin, Wardens, 1739. Interior of porch has granite paved floor, granite benches to sides. C15 wagon roof with carved principals, wall-plates and bosses, one central boss replaced and inscribed Thos. Smith 1830. Inner 4-centred arched doorway with wave mouldings ; C19 door with cover strips and studs, the inner side of the door with re-used fleur de lys strap hinges and a wooden case lock. The north aisle is on a chamfered plinth, of 4 bays, east and west windows as on south aisle ; the north windows are 3-light, with cusped lights, 4-centred arch and hood mould ; 3 C19 door with studs. Slate tablet attached to north, to William Coppin, 1774. West tower in 3 stages on a moulded plinth, with narrow set back weathered buttresses, with clasping pinnacles at each stage rising from the buttresses. Embattled parapet with octagonal pinnacles with crocketed spirelets. 4-centred arched west doorway with roll-mouldings and recessed spandrels with carved leaves, C19 door with cover strips and studs ; square hood mould with label stops. 4-light west window with Y-tracery, 4-centred arch with hood mould and label stops ; the cill of the window has panel with carved granite quatrefoils and stars and central shield; each side of the door jamsb have large similar carved panel. Clock at second stage to north and lancets to north for the tower stair. Third stage has 3-light bell- openings with Perpendicular tracery and 4-centred arch. Interior: Slate paved floor and plastered walls. Nave and chancel have C19 scissors truss roof. North and south aisles have C15 wagon roof with carved ribs, bosses and wall-plates. Nave has 5-bay north arcade, with Pevsner A-type piers, 4-centred arches with hollow-chamfered mouldings ; similar 6-bay south arcade. Tall tower arch with Pevsner A-type piers, 4-centred arch and early C19 wooden screen across with engaged Ionic columns. Tower has hollow-chamfered 4-centred arched north door to stair, door with strap hinges. Chancel has triple sedilia with carved latin lettering, trefoil-arched piscina and 4-centred arched aumbry. Tomb recess with chamfered 4-centred arch and colonnettes to sides, with trefoil moulded niche over and carved granite ledger stone. South aisle has piscina. Fittings: stone font in south aisle, a square bowl with blank arcade to sides, carved with trefoils and stars. C17 stocks in porch. In the tower, the weights of a clock are visible, given by the parishioners in 1920 ; C19 painted Gothic boards with Bible verses. In the chancel are painted Gothic candlesticks and wooden piers forming a reredos in the same style. Nave and aisles have benches with C15 carved bench ends. C19 wooden pulpit in nave. North aisle has carved C17 wooden sideboard, with panels of the Coronation of the Virgin and saints, given in 1967 from Carblake, Cardinham. Over the north door, a letter of thanks from Charles I at Sudely Castle, 1643, oil on board with nowy head. Warden's wand mounted on wall below the board. C18 stone baluster font with lid in north aisle, and a stone carved with 2 crosses. In north aisle, a fine plaster coat of arms, of Charles II, 1661, very well modelled, with no paint. Monuments in chancel : brass to Thomas Awmarle, Rector, circa 1400. In south aisle, the Glynn family moument, a convex oval tablet with swags, Corinthian columns and entablature, inclinded shield of arms and freestanding putti, painted, with putti set as corbels below the plinth and scrolled supporters ; erected by Dennys Glynn, 1699 ; remains of slate tablet to William Glynn, C17 ; marble monument on slate ground, to Thomas Grylls, 1845 ; marble monument on slate ground, to John Bate, 1856. In north aisle, 3 slate ledgers, on dated 1608 ; slate tablet to Elizabeth Coppin, 1788 ; metal tablet with nowy head, to Henry Bennett, 1777. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England : Cornwall 1970.

Listing NGR: SX1230368697


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07155/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Whell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].