This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL OF ST PIRAN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL OF ST PIRAN

List entry Number: 1143411

Location

CHAPEL OF ST PIRAN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Tintagel

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68874

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TINTAGEL TRETHEVEY SX 08 NE 4/217 Chapel of St Piran 17.12.62 GV II Chapel, probably converted to outbuilding after the Reformation and converted back into a mission chapel dedicated to St Piran. Possibly C15 origins although the building has been much altered; the walls were lowered in 1887 and the fabric heavily restored in 1941 when it reverted back into a chapel. Local slate stone rubble. Rag slate roof with gable ends. Rectangular single cell plan with earlier entrance in north side blocked and entrance inserted in west gable end. Low building of single storey with several straight joints in the masonry on the north side; blocked door on north side and partly restored 2-light chamfered granite mullion window with cusped lancet towards the west. Plank door to entrance in west gable end with row of pigeon holes above and 1-light segmental arched east window. Interior : Simple pitch pine furnishings and C20 stone altar. Circa late C19 collar- rafter roof. The first mention of a chapel dedicated to St Pirans is in a licence granted by the bishop to Parson Gregory to celebrate mass in 1457. The building appears to have been used for agricultural purposes since the Reformation although the documentary evidence is scanty. The Tithe Apportionment maps (1841) mark a Chapel Meadow adjoining the site. Canner, A C The Parish of Tintagel, some historical notes 1982

Listing NGR: SX0766489172

Selected Sources

Other
Canner, AC , The Parish of Tintagel some historical notes, 1982,

National Grid Reference: SX0766489172

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143411 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 01:01:59.

End of official listing