ENGINE HOUSE AT PRINCESS OF WALES QUARRY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143433

Date first listed: 10-Dec-1980

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AT PRINCESS OF WALES QUARRY

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGINE HOUSE AT PRINCESS OF WALES QUARRY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143433 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 05:56:35.

Location

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AT PRINCESS OF WALES QUARRY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Tintagel

National Grid Reference: SX0721386203

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TINTAGEL SW 08 NE 4/166 Engine House at Princess of Wales Quarry (formerly listed as Prince of 10.12.80 Wales Engine House, Trewamett) GV II Engine house. Completed in 1872, restored in 1976. Slate stone rubble with brick dressings and top stage of chimney stack constructed of brick. Slate roof with gable ends renewed in 1976. Rectangular plan with chimney attached on lower front left hand (south west) corner. Lower north elevation with chimney stack on front left, the brick top stage with a brick corbelled band and cornice. Tall narrow opening in gable end with round headed brick arch. Left hand side wall part rebuilt with openings at 2 levels. Right hand side wall with large stone rubble plinth and timber lintels to openings. Tall round headed brick arched opening in gable end of higher south elevation, part rebuilt. Engine house of unusual plan used for both pumping and winding. It was built to accommodate a 50" Harvey engine that until 1890 pumped a large pit below and hauled trucks from Bowthick quarry across the valley. Bowthick quarry closed down in circa 1913 and the engine house stood derelict until restored in 1976. Source: Clive Carter Unpublished manuscript notes.

Listing NGR: SX0721386203

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68828

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing