Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143465

Date first listed: 20-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: OLD RECTORY


Ordnance survey map of OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143465 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 23:52:46.


Statutory Address: OLD RECTORY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Juliot

National Grid Reference: SX 12446 91573


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST JULIOT SX 19 SW Old Rectory 2/133 II Rectory, now private house. Circa 1847 (Polsue) although owner suggests a date in the 1850's. Slate stone rubble, slate hung on south garden front. Steeply pitched regular slate roof with double gable ends to front and rear, overhanging eaves and ornate shaped and pierced barge boards. Brick stacks on front and rear gable ends. Rectangular double depth plan with side entrance leading to the entrance hall which separates the two reception rooms on the front overlooking the garden to the right and the smaller service room behind to the left. 2 storeys and attic. The east entrance side is asymmetrical with 2 gables, the larger to left and both have ornate pierced and shaped bargeboards. To right of centre directly below the valley a gabled porch with the same ornate bargeboards, dressed stone 4-centred arch and part-glazed inner door. Immediately above the porch a 12-pane sash and a similar but larger 12-pane sash to right on ground and first floors, all with flat dressed stone arches and slate cills. In each of the gables a cross-shaped slit window lighting the attics. Symmetrical south garden front; slate hung with two double glazed doors on ground floor and two 12-pane horned sashes with crown glass on first floor. Rear elevation with double gabled end, two cross shaped openings as on entrnace front but glazing replaced with slate and the shaped barge boards are unpierced. Lean-to outshot on right hand side wall. Interior not inspected. Emma Gifford, later Emma Hardy moved to St Juliot Rectory in 1868 to join her sister Helen Catherine, wife of Rev. Caddell Holder. The opening chapters of Thomas Hardy's navel, Pair of Blue Eyes recalls the author's visit to the rectory when he first met Emma. Gittings, R. Young Thomas Hardy 1980 Halliday, F. E. Thomas Hardy 1984 Polsue, J. Lake Parochial History of the Count of Cornwall, 1872, reprinted 1974.

Listing NGR: SX1244691573


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68805

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Gittings, R, Young Thomas Hardy, (1980)
Halliday, F E , Thomas Hardy, (1984)
Hardy, T, A Pair of Blue Eyes
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

End of official listing