SOUTH HARBOUR PIER, QUAY AND WALLS ON SOUTH WEST SIDE OF HARBOUR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1143473

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1962

Statutory Address: SOUTH HARBOUR PIER, QUAY AND WALLS ON SOUTH WEST SIDE OF HARBOUR, THE HARBOUR

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH HARBOUR PIER, QUAY AND WALLS ON SOUTH WEST SIDE OF HARBOUR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143473 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 11:50:30.

Location

Statutory Address: SOUTH HARBOUR PIER, QUAY AND WALLS ON SOUTH WEST SIDE OF HARBOUR, THE HARBOUR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Forrabury and Minster

National Grid Reference: SX 09513 91496

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORRABURY AND THE HARBOUR, Boscastle SX 09 SE MINSTER 1/61 South harbour pier, quay and walls 17.12.62 on south west side of harbour GV II* Harbour pier, quay and walls on south west side of harbour. Circa 1584. Slate stone rubble and quartz. The pier is constructed of vertically coursed rubble, partly rebuilt on the east. It projects from the west, curving gently and giving protection to the natural harbour on the south. The outer seaward side is raised and there is a cobbled path with slip on the leeward, south side. The south west wall of the harbour is largely constructed of vertically coursed slate stone rubble, interspersed with natural outcrops of rock. Quay directly to south of southern harbour pier with high cliff to west. The north east side of the harbour is enclosed by natural outcrops of rock. A pier had been erected at Boscastle by 1547 and in 1549 The Church of St. Thomas, Launceston, had contributed towards the repair of the quay. In circa 1584, a memorandum was drawn up by the townsmen of Boscastle, at the request of Sir Richard Grenville, Sheriff of Cornwall; this sets out full details of the wages paid out in the first 14 months of work on the rebuilding of the pier. A letter from Grenville gives full details of the dimensions which correspond closely with those of the existing pier. The pier was restored in 1740 by Mr Cotton Amy and in C18 an outer bar was built. The latter was destroyed during World War II and reconstructed in 1962 reusing stone from the demolished Laira Bridge, Plymouth. The busy port of Boscastle exported corn, roof slates and bark for leather tanning; between circa 1815 and 1840 exporting manganese ore from the mines near Launceston and after 1865 china clay from Bodmin Moor. Imports included wine and spirits, pottery, coal, manure and limestone. A description of the port in 1861 described the numerous warehouses, workshops, shipyards and timber yards. This is a fine early harbour structure in a particularly picturesque setting. Pearse, Richard The Ports and Harbours of Cornwall 1963 Williams, Michael Boscastle 1978

Listing NGR: SX0951391496

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68721

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pearse, R, The Ports and Harbours of Cornwall, (1963)
Williams, M, Boscastle, (1978)

End of official listing