SCHOOL HOUSE AND SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143534

Date first listed: 13-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE AND SCHOOL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL HOUSE AND SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143534 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 22:01:47.

Location

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE AND SCHOOL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Michaelstow

National Grid Reference: SX0800878842

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MICHAELSTOW MICHAELSTOW SX 07 NE 6/124 School House and School - GV II

National school and school house now private house. Circa C18 cottage remodelled as school in 1852 when the school house was erected (datestone). Built by Earl Fortescue. Stone rubble and cob, the school house with granite quoins and lintels. School house on left has a rag slate roof with gable ends and a brick axial stack. The school to right has a rear earlier range with rag slate roof and stone rubble stack on right hand gable end. Second parallel range to front of early C20 with rag slate roof with gable ends. Plan: school originally a cottage possibly of 2 room plan, the right hand room heated by an end stack. In 1852 a school house was erected as a cross wing on the left hand gable end forming an overall 'T' shaped plan. The school house of 2 room plan has 2 back-to-back fireplaces heated by a central axial stack; the parlour probably on the front and the kitchen to rear. In circa later C19 an outshot was added across the rear of the school; the outshot was extended in the C20 and in circa early C20 an extension of 1-room plan was added across the front of the school. Exterior : 2 storey range to school house on left with gable end to front. 4-pane sash on ground and first floor and entrance to right between school house and school. Datestone 'National School, 1852' in gable end. Left hand side elevation with C20 glazed double door to left and 4-pane sashes to right and on first floor. School to right has brick dressings to openings and gable to front in centre. Interior of school house largely complete with stair and simple unmoulded granite lintels to ground floor back-to-back fireplaces. Partly blocked fireplace to school In 1852, Earl Fortescue granted to the minister and church a cottage and garden enclosure in the village of Michaelstow. This was to be used for the education of children and adults, or children only of labouring, manufacturing and other poorer classes in the parish of Michaelstow. Maclean, Sir J. Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall 1879.

Listing NGR: SX0800878842

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68566

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)

End of official listing