KENEGIE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143574

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: KENEGIE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KENEGIE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143574 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 23:06:16.

Location

Statutory Address: KENEGIE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Madron

National Grid Reference: SW 48146 32545

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MADRON SW 43 SE 7/88 Kenegie House - 10.6.54 GV II Country house. Circa late C16 or early C17, remodelled circa late C17 and circa early C18 and greatly remodelled externally circa late C19 and slightly extended in the C20. Granite ashlar and granite rubble with granite dressings plus Bath stone dressings to C19 features. Grouted gabled scantle slate roofs. Dressed granite axial and lateral stacks mostly C19 but axial stack, right of middle is probably C17. Plan: Large irregular plan. Original range in main axis with right of central C16 or C17 2-storey porches at front and rear of original through passage position. Probably originally a 3-room and through passage plan with hall left of the through passage. Extended with wings at either end a right angles to rear C17 and C18. Circa late C17 or early C18 a bow window was fitted to the front of the hall. Circa late C18 a wing was added or rebuilt at right angles to front, left. In the C19 the back of the house as remodelled to make a new front, the spaces beside the porch were filled, the rear left hand wing was remodelled to make a pair of wings and a service wing including a servants hall was built in front of the front left-hand wing. 2 storeys. Exterior: 2 storeys. Irregular elevations, original north front, principal C19 front (south) C18 garden front (north) and entrance also to west. Principal features are the C16 or C17 porches at front and rear and the remarkable bow window left of the front porch. The wing at right angles to the front left has a partly C18 front with flat arches over the original openings and some old sashes. Otherwise although retaining much C18 and earlier masonry, the features of the house are predominantly Victorian with many transommed mullioned windows in a late Elizabethan style. The circa late C16 or early C17 porches have their original doorways. The front porch doorway has a basket arch and hoodmould over. The inner doorway is pointed. The first floor of each porch is carried on a moulded cornice. The hall window is a 6-light bow window with widely spaced mullions with a moulded granite cornice over. The bowed casements are original (circa late C17 or early C18) with small panes of crown glass and wide ovolo moulded glazing bars. In front of the window is a low C18 wall with a cambered coping. Interior: Much of the ground floor has C19 or C20 detail. The right hand room has a C17 chamfered granite fireplace with jointed lintel. The hall has C18 panelling and moulded ceiling cornices. On the first floor most of the rooms contain circa late C17 or C18 features including bolection-moulded and other panelling, moulded plaster ceilings, many of them deeply coved, and with various enrichments including some with modillioned cornices. A principal axial passage with coved ceiling is now within 2 or more chambers. Circa 1700 stair with panelled newels. The stair hall has a mid- floor entrance from a terraced garden at the left hand side of the house (shown as an east garden front with piano-nobile first floor in a circa 1770 drawing by William Borlase). Kenegie has been the home of many notable Cornish families including: Tripconie in the C16, Harris in the C17 and C18 and once the home of the Arundel family (the lions at Trerice, qv came originally from here). Formerly one of the great Cornish houses, rather altered in the C19 but retaining much fine quality detail of the C16-C18 centuries.

Listing NGR: SW4814632545

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70433

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing