This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE HEAD GARDENERS' COTTAGES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE HEAD GARDENERS' COTTAGES

List entry Number: 1143583

Location

THE HEAD GARDENERS' COTTAGES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Madron

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70459

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MADRON SW 43 SE 7/114 The Head Gardeners' cottages - GV II Terrace of 3 gardeners' cottages, now 1 house. Circa early to mid C19. Brick laid to Flemish bond. Dry slate roof with brick chimneys over the gable ends and party wall. Plan: 3 similar shallow double depth cottages each with 1 room at the front and entrances at the rear, the front facing into the walled garden. Exterior: 2 storeys. Regular 3 window south garden front with possibly original 12- pane 2-light casments. Circa late C19 6-pane horned sash to first floor left. Interior: not inspected. These cottages adjoin kitchen garden walls which were built in 1814 when Trengwainton House was enlarged by Sir Rose Price, a West Indian sugar planter. In 1867 the property was bought by T S Bolitho, a banker, whose family had been involved in Cornish mining. The 1897 remodelling and extensions were carried out by his son T R Bolitho; the architect is not known. T R Bolitho and the head gardener, A Creek, with advice and help from J C Williams of Caerhays and P D Williams of Lanarth, created a new garden with shrubs from New Zealand, Australia, Chile and the Himalayas. In 1929 G Johnstone of Trewtihen and Lawrence Johnston of Hidcote offered Bolitho a share in Kingdon Ward's 1927-8 plant hunting expedition to Assam and Burma. Seeds collected on this expedition are the basis of the fine rhododendron collection at Trengwainton. Source: M Trinick, The National Trust's Cornish Gardens.

Listing NGR: SW4452431472

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Trinick, M, Cornish Gardens

National Grid Reference: SW 45052 31296

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143583 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 03:15:14.

End of official listing