HOGUS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1143604
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
HOGUS HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOGUS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143604 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-May-2019 at 14:00:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
HOGUS HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ludgvan
National Grid Reference:
SW 50512 32987

Details

LUDGVAN LUDGVAN CHURCHTOWN SW 53 SW 8/59 Hogus House (formerly listed as The - Rectory) 16.1.78 GV II* Former rectory, now house. Circa late C18, extended circa early C19 and probably late C19, reduced C20. Home of Sir Humphry Davy 1778-1829, the eminent chemist and inventor of the minor's safety lamp. Granite ashlar front, otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings. Hipped granite scantle slate roofs. Brick chimneys. Plan: originally probably L-shaped plan with 2 equal size front reception rooms with entrance hall between and study and service wing at right angles behind the right hand room. Circa early C19 the rear of the house was remodelled and extended to make a garden front on the right with central canted bay and with another canted bay at rear middle. The stair hall was probably resited to its present position behind the left hand room and a service wing with servant's stair was added behind the stair hall. The service wing was reduced to single storey in the C20. Exterior: 2 storeys over basement (cellar under right-hand room only). Symmetrical 5 window south front: basement as plinth, ground floor cill string, midfloor string, moulded parapet cornice; chamfered rusticated quoins; flat arches with projecting keystones over windows. Round-headed doorway approached by a flight of 4 granite steps. Panelled door with possibly original fanlight over. Round-headed stair window over cellar stair window (left hand wall); 2 storey canted bay windows (right hand wall and rear) mostly sashes. Interior: C18 features: chimney pieces in 3 reception rooms, some moulded ceiling cornices, window shutters and 6-panel doors. Circa early C19 features: open-well open-string stair with guttae detail.

Listing NGR: SW5051232987

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
70407
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].