This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PENPOL HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN WALLS AND GATE PIERS AND GATES TO SOUTH WEST AND THOSE TO NORTH INCLUDING PUMP

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENPOL HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN WALLS AND GATE PIERS AND GATES TO SOUTH WEST AND THOSE TO NORTH INCLUDING PUMP

List entry Number: 1143662

Location

PENPOL HOUSE INCLUDING GARDEN WALLS AND GATE PIERS AND GATES TO SOUTH WEST AND THOSE TO NORTH INCLUDING PUMP, 12,14,18 AND 20, PENPOL AVENUE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hayle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70244

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAYLE PENPOL AVENUE, Hayle SW 5637-5737 11/143 Nos. 12, 14, 18 and 20.(Penpol - House) including garden walls and gate piers and gates to south west and those to north including pump GV II House, C16, remodelled in the C17, extended and remodelled in the C18 and C19. Slatehanging to south-west front and north-west gable ends, otherwise painted rubble or rubble with granite dressings. Grouted scantle slate roofs with tall brick chimneys over the gable ends and over the side walls. Some cast- iron ogee gutters. Plan: At one time an irregular cruciform plan (south-east wing later mostly demolished); partly C17 wing at right angles to rear right and C18 wing at right angles to front right. Rear wing was rebuilt at rear in the C19 as 2 room plan farmhouse plus rear outshut (right) and front wing was extended with washhouse at the front. Main range has 2 original front rooms of the house (within thick walls) remodelled as rear service rooms to a circa 1760 2-room-plan front and retaining a C17 stair tower projecting from the rear of an entrance hall between the rooms. The rear right-hand wing is C17 or earlier in the front 2 rooms but heightened in the C19, except for short section of roof over the front part. There is a C17 doorway into the left hand side. Exterior: 2-storeys. Regular 4-window slate facing south-west front. Doorway under second-from-left first floor window with slate hood on wooden brackets. C20 ledged door and C20 windows. At far right is projecting gable end of wing and in front of the wing is a gable-ended C19 single-storey washhouse. Left- hand wall of wing has circa early C19 sash to first floor. Overall 4 window north-west front has C17 hollow chamfered doorway right of middle and nearby symmetrical 3 window front of rebuilt C19 front on the left with C20 door and C20 horned sashes with glazing bars. Right of the C17 doorway is a C20 copy 3-light casement with 8 panes per light and similar window over. Returning at right angles in front on the right is the rear wall of the main range of the house with central hipped-roofed C17 stair tower. Ground floor left and right are C18 3-light casements with original crown glass and inner stanchions possibly for earlier leaded glazing. Copy casements over. Interior: Circa late C17 coved and moulded plaster ceiling over the stair; bolection moulded chimney pieces to the chambers on either side of the stair. Otherwise circa 1760 carpentry; joinery and plasterwork (where visible) including chimney pieces in the front chambers; dog-leg stair with rectangular balusters; panelled doors and moulded ceiling cornices. Roof structures not inspected but they retain some C18 or earlier work. Garden walls in front of south-west front are grouted rubble. Gateway has square-on-plan granite monolithic piers and C19 wrought-iron gates with arched bracing, cross-braced lock rail and spear-head finials. Walls on right form path beside front wing. Garden walls in front of north-west front are granite rubble. In front of right-hand part (No. 18) the wall is older, lower and has hogs-back granite copings. Gate piers are round-headed granite monoliths. Gate to No. 18 is C19 wrought iron with arched top rail. There is a well in front of the right-hand end of the garden wall. Over the well is a C19 cast iron barrel pump with its original cranked handle. Penpol has an interesting history: owned by the Godolphins from the C16 until 1639 when sold to Anthony Honeychurch of St Erth; in 1732 in the hands of Rt. Hon Henry Robartes, Earl of Radnor, who leased to John Curnow(Merchant Curnow) ;a daughter Jane married William Hocken, Rector of Phillack with Gwithian in 1770, another daughter, Jane, married Richard Oke Millett of Marazion in 1771. In 1788 Richard Miller bought Penpol from Lord Arundell. A later (Dr.) Richard Millet who had been living at Penpol for some years up to 1863, was accused by his brother-in-law, Dr.Edmonds of poisoning his brother Jacob Miller, by mixing aconite in horse radish sauce served with beef. There was an inquest and trial but he was found not guilty. Since 1921 Penpol has been owned by the Ellis family. Historical information provided by Hayle Town Council from notes by Major Tom Ellis.

Listing NGR: SW5609537224

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 56095 37224

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143662 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 01:49:35.

End of official listing