Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143668

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: THE HAYLE BREWERY, 4, SEA LANE


Ordnance survey map of THE HAYLE BREWERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 14:47:04.


Statutory Address: THE HAYLE BREWERY, 4, SEA LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hayle

National Grid Reference: SW 56454 37745


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HAYLE SEA LANE (west side), Hayle SW 5637-5737 11/153 No 4 (The Hayle Brewery) - GV II Brewery buildings. 1873. Built for The Hayle Brewery. Painted rubble walls with granite dressings. Grouted scantle slate roofs (part replaced with asbestos slate); hipped over the taller buildings; with gable ends to the other buildings. 3 brick chimneys: 2 over right-hand corners of tallest building and one over left-hand rear corner of single storey wing, left. Some wooden launders. Plan: Overall irregular U-shaped plan built on a steep slope up to the rear and to the right. Main range is 3 adjoining 2-storey rectangular blocks-on 3 levels; adjoining at right angles to front, right is 2-storey range with large louvred openings to the first floor; single storey waggon shed in front and single storey range (possibly former stables in front of the left hand side). Exterior: Main range has 2-storey front with 2-storey over basement block on the right. Roofs on 3 levels. Single storey wing adjoining in front of left-hand side and 2-storey range built in front of the right-hand side. Centre block has doorway on the left with loading doorway over and large doorway on the right (rear of this is a symmetrical 3 window front with wide eaves soffit to the roof). Tall building, right, has doorway on its left and loading doorway to each floor over and hoist boom above, (rear of this block is another symmetrical 3 window front). Returning is the left-hand wall of the 2-storey front range. This is a symmetrical front with central doorway, 2 windows at either side and louvred openings at rear). Wagon shed has 2 large doorways to the front (left-hand wall). The other buildings, left, and in front, have 3 doorways at the left-hand side. Interior: Not inspected but may be of interest. Formerly run by the Ellis family. First brewery circa 1815 when Christopher Ellis (1790-1867) aged 27 was set up in business by his godfather. In 1934 the company of Ellis and Son merged with St Austell Brewery and brewing at Hayle ceased. The brewery buildings became a depot of St Austell Brewery Co. Thirty freehold public houses were taken over. Historical information extracted from notes supplied by Hayle Town Council.

Listing NGR: SW5645437745


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70259

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing