THE SWING BRIDGE INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLS AND ENGINE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143675

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: THE SWING BRIDGE INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLS AND ENGINE HOUSE, CUSTOM HOUSE QUAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SWING BRIDGE INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLS AND ENGINE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143675 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 19:33:01.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SWING BRIDGE INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLS AND ENGINE HOUSE, CUSTOM HOUSE QUAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hayle

National Grid Reference: SW 55811 37634

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 5437-5537 HAYLE CUSTOM HOUSE QUAY, Hayle (also part of East Quay) 10/79 The Swing Bridge including adjoining walls and engine house

GV II Swing bridge for former railway and road to cross canal, including associated masonry walls and engine house. 1880. Dressed granite and granite rubble walls. Iron bridge construction. Brick engine house with felted roof. Plan: Cantilevered beam pivoted on an hydraulically operated lift and turn pivot (no longer operational) on the south side of the canal. At the left-hand side (west) of the bridge are battered walls with corbelled parapet of former drawbridge of 1852. Beside the bridge (left) is a C20 sluice gate replacing earlier lock and sluice gates. Built over the canal bank (front left) is a small rectangular engine house for former engine which lifted and turned the swing bridge. Granite ashlar walls to left-hand (west) abutments, otherwise rubble with granite copings. Bridge has tapered iron beams at the sides. Engine house has round arched openings and stands over a segmental arch spanning a leat. Source: Hayle Town Trail, by Brian Sullivan.

Listing NGR: SW5581137634

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70175

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Sullivan, B, Hayle Town Trail

End of official listing