FREEMASONS' HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143683

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Statutory Address: FREEMASONS' HALL, 8 AND 9, FOUNDRY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FREEMASONS' HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143683 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 16:13:25.

Location

Statutory Address: FREEMASONS' HALL, 8 AND 9, FOUNDRY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hayle

National Grid Reference: SW 55875 37085

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAYLE FOUNDRY SQUARE (south side), SW 5437-5537 Hayle 10/95 Nos 8 and 9 (Freemasons' Hall), - once The White Hart Hotel

GV II Former inn (the original White Hart Hotel), now a freemasons' hall. Built by Henry Trevithick to support his sister Jane, wife of Richard Trevithick 1871-1833, the famous engineer. Rendered walls. Hipped, almost pyramidal, grouted scantle slate. Chimneys over side walls removed in the C20. Plan: Double depth plan with 2 equal reception rooms at the front flanking a central entrance hall leading to a rear stair hall between 2 service rooms, (possible remodelled in the C20). Later extensions behind. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3 window north front with central doorway. C20 door. Original hornless sashes. The window right of the doorway is a complete 16-pane sash but the others have had their secondary glazing bars removed to leave 4-panes in each. Internal window shutters to ground floor rooms. Interior: not inspected. This building has important historical interest. Jane Trevithick was the hostess of the premises during Richard Trevithick's long period of absence in South America, where he travelled initially to supervise the installation of 9 of his engines in Peru. While he was in South America, engaged in many daring and some ill-fated ventures, Richard sent Jane no money, and when he returned to the port of Falmouth in October 1827 he had (accordingly to Francis Trevithick) only the clothes he wore, a gold watch, a drawing compass, a magnetic compass, and a pair of silver spurs. The hotel is also an interesting relic of Hayle's prosperity. For the ceremonial first opening of the sluices, to clear the sand from the river, on 27 December, 1834, the occasion was celebrated by a breakfast at the White Hart for the mine adventures, customers and 4 captains who had been employed in the work. Interior: Not inspected. Sources: John B. Carter, for the Trevithick Society ; Richard Trevithick by James Hodge ; The Harveys of Hayle by Edmund Vale.

Listing NGR: SW5587537085

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70196

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing