FORMER OFFICES AND REMAINS OF FOUNDRY OF HARVEY AND COMPANY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1143685

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Nov-2000

Statutory Address: FORMER OFFICES AND REMAINS OF FOUNDRY OF HARVEY AND COMPANY, 24, FOUNDRY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER OFFICES AND REMAINS OF FOUNDRY OF HARVEY AND COMPANY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143685 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 10:39:09.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER OFFICES AND REMAINS OF FOUNDRY OF HARVEY AND COMPANY, 24, FOUNDRY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Hayle

National Grid Reference: SW 55822 37164

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAYLE

SW5537 FOUNDRY SQUARE 1534/10/100 HAYLE 29-APR-83 (West side) 24 Former offices and remains of foundry of Harvey and Company (Formerly listed as: FOUNDRY SQUARE HAYLE 24 No 24 (premises occupied by Slades))

GV II*

Foundry office and remains of foundry. Late C18 and early-mid C19; built by Harvey and Company; altered late C20. Stuccoed stone and boarded timber frame. Hipped grouted scantle slate roof. Brick axial stack. Slate-hung clock turret left of centre with moulded eaves cornice to pyramidal roof with gablet over each clock face. PLAN: L-shaped on plan main office range incorporating C18 foundry entrance, furnaces and limekiln; rear right-hand [SW] wing added in early-mid C19 as drawing office. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. 4-window north front with large round-arched carriage doorway under the right-hand window. Window to each centre bay, blind left hand bay (ground floor). Original 12-pane hornless sashes to first floor (including left-hand return). Circa early C20 windows to ground floor openings. Left-hand return wall has wide shop window. At rear weatherboarded drawing office wing raised on iron posts and with large 12-pane sash windows. INTERIOR: Substantial remains of part of original C18 foundry, including remains of a furnace, a lime kiln and part of original yard with cobbles and drain. Small part of original office, but mainly pre-1845 offices and in rear wing pre-1888 drawing office supported on cast-iron posts. Two large iron-plated armoured strong rooms supported on cast-iron piers and with cast-iron panelled doors and another strong room made of Barlow rails. Granite cantilevered stairs to office with cast-iron balustrade. Tiled lavatories. Part of the first floor of the main range has been removed. King-post roof over main front range. Clock in turret over main range made in 1893 by John H. West of Hayle, has illuminated dial.

Listing NGR: SW5582237164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70201

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing