This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SOUTH QUAY, INCLUDING SOUTH EAST SIDE OF CARNSEW DOCK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SOUTH QUAY, INCLUDING SOUTH EAST SIDE OF CARNSEW DOCK

List entry Number: 1143686

Location

SOUTH QUAY, INCLUDING SOUTH EAST SIDE OF CARNSEW DOCK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hayle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70205

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAYLE HAYLE SW 5437-5537 10/104 South Quay, including south-east - side of Carnsew Dock

GV II Quay walls. Circa 1819. Built for Harvey and Company (Henry Harvey). Granite and killas rubble, granite ashlar, copper slag blocks and granite dressings. Walls to 3 sides of a peninsular wharf, the long side facing north east and forming one side of a long narrow harbour. Walls are scalloped on plan possibly to allow boats to lie alongside. The north west wall is also part of Carnsew dock. This dock was designed so that accumulated silt could be sluiced out at intervals by releasing a large volume of dammed-up water. The walls are slightly battered and have dressed granite copings. On December the 27th 1834 there was a ceremonial opening of the sluices when the mine's adventurers and other customers and friends of the Company were invited to breakfast a The White Hart Hotel q.v. Sources: The Harveys of Hayle, by Edmund Vale ; The Cornish Copper Company, by W.H. Pascoe ; Hayle Town Trail by Brian Sullivan.

Listing NGR: SW5562437609

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pascoe, WH , The History Of the Cornish Copper Company
Sullivan, B, Hayle Town Trail
Vale, E, The Harveys of Hayle, (1966)

National Grid Reference: SW 55624 37609

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143686 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 06:58:57.

End of official listing