This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ELWYN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ELWYN

List entry Number: 1143688

Location

CHURCH OF ST ELWYN, HAYLE TERRACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hayle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70209

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAYLE HAYLE TERRACE (south side), Hayle SW 5437-5537 10/108 Church Of St Elwyn -

GV II* Parish church for newly-formed Peel parish. 1886-1888 by John Sedding (his last work). Roughly dressed granite brought to course and granite dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs. Coped gable end to main roof, polygonal-ended roof to chapel (north east corner) and octagonal spire over tower. Cast-iron rain water heads dated 1887 and 1888. Plan: Nave/chancel under one roof ; north tower ; shallow north and south aisles ; Lady chapel over schoolroom north of chancel ; vestry and origin in pair of south transepts and south porch. Predominantly Gothic style. Exterior: Corner buttresses and buttressed bays, lancets or shouldered-headed windows. Nave has large pointed-arched 3-light window openings (carried over internal arcades between nave and aisles) blind except for centre lights of 4 of the bays. Chancel east gable end has large pointed arch enclosing pair of stepped 3- light windows with central rose window over. West gable end has 5-light traceried window with buttressed central light and coloured glass. 3-stage tower is square with buttressed corners up to machicolated parapet (at eaves level of nave) and octagonal on plan above with octagonal stair turret at the north-west corner. Upper stages divided by string. Top stage has 2-light windows to alternate sides and embattled and machicolated parapet surmounted by octagonal spire. Interior: Lofty nave and chancel separated from aisles by 6-bay arcades of round arches carried on fat round piers : waggon roofs ; gallery to tower bay. Unaltered. Fittings font in Norman style with corner shafts and round bowl with blind Perpendicular style tracery ; organ ; panelled reredos ; original choir stalls and pews. Monuments: memorial west window to : Frank Harvey (1840-1926) ; Anne his wife 1844- 1932 and William Hosburgh M.A. 1835-1927.

Listing NGR: SW5591137573

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 55911 37573

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143688 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 08:30:21.

End of official listing