ENGINE HOUSE AT SW53783104

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143720

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AT SW53783104, TREGURTHA DOWNS MINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ENGINE HOUSE AT SW53783104
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143720 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 02:47:59.

Location

Statutory Address: ENGINE HOUSE AT SW53783104, TREGURTHA DOWNS MINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Hilary

National Grid Reference: SW 53795 31046

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST HILARY TREGURTHA DOWNS MINE SW 53 SW 1/183 Engine house at 5V53783104

GV II

Beam engine house for 80 inch pumping engine. Circa 1880. Probably granite ashlar bob wall (overgrown with ivy), otherwise granite rubble with granite and brick dressings. Original iron tie rods through the length of each wall. Some remains of scantle slate roof and boarded studwork over bob wall. Plan: rectangular plan with thicker bob wall with narrow doorway (east) and large boiler doorway in gable-ended wall (west). The engine moved to South Crofty in 1903 and still extant. Exterior : Tall plinth; arched doorways to the front and rear walls and arched stair window to each wing wall. (The bob wall arch is ordered). The other openings are tall rectangular window openings (3 to each floor of the wing walls and 2 pairs of openings to each floor over the boiler doorway) and a blind oculus with brick cross to the gable end. Remains of original window frames. Interior : original scissor-truss roof structure; pit towards the bob wall and round dressed granite cylinder platform. The engine formerly fitted to this engine house was built by Copperhouse Foundry, Hayle, to a design by Samuel Grose. It was originally fitted to Wheal Alfred Consols, then Crenver then lineal Abraham before being moved to Tregurtha Downs. This engine house is similar in design to one never completed at Tregurtha Farm nearby and to East Wheal Rose (lead mine). Sources : Peter Richards; Industrial Archaeology of Cornwall Gazetteer; East Wheal Rose by H.L. Douch.

Listing NGR: SW5379531046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70088

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Douch, H J , East Wheal Rose, (1964)
Richards, P, Industrial Archaeology of Cornwall Gazetteer

End of official listing