CARBIS MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143736

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CARBIS MILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARBIS MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 08:38:32.

Location

Statutory Address: CARBIS MILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Hilary

National Grid Reference: SW 55333 33522

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST HILARY SW 53 SW 2/119 Carbis Mill

GV II

Miller's house and adjoining mill. Datestones 1754. Probably rebuilt circa early C19. Granite and elvan rubble with dressed granite quoins, jambstones and lintels. House roofs : asbestos slate, with gable ends and brick chimney over left hand gable end. Mill roof : taller than house; scantle slate with gable ends. Plan: 2 room house left with possibly later outshut behind left hand side and single storey lean-to behind right hand side; rectangular mill, right of house, with machinery removed circa 1960's (formerly with overshot wheel on right hand side and at rear). The house has kitchen, left, and slightly smaller parlour right with lobby and stair between. The room behind the kitchen has a fireplace (possibly for washhouse) and the room behind the stair and parlour was formerly a pig's house. Exterior : 2 storey house and 3 storey mill. House has nearly symmetrical 3 window south-west front with doorway slightly right of middle, 4-panel door with flush- beaded panels and circa early Cl.9 12-pane hornless sashes. Stone over doorway inscribed : FE 1753 and stone in left hand gable end inscribed 1753. Mill, right, has slightly irregular 2 window front. Doorway towards left with small window on either side. Jambstone, far left, inscribed : JW 1874. Loading doorway over ground floor doorway. Ledged doors. Shutters to second floor windows. Gable end, right, has large ground floor doorway (cut C20), holes for machinery over and small gable window with reused millstone as lintel. Rear has holes for machinery to thicker ground floor wall and 2 windows to each floor above. Interior of house has C19 carpentry and joinery.

Listing NGR: SW5533333522

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70023

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing