This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE

List entry Number: 1143785

Location

FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, ROSEHILL, TR17 0HF

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Marazion

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 69941

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/11/2016

SW 5130, 4/32

MARAZION, ROSEHILL, Marazion, Friends Meeting House

GV

II*

Quaker meeting house. Circa 1688 remodelled 1742 and circa 1880. Granite rubble walls with some cob at the rear. Wooden lintels. Scantle slate roof, gabled to the north west, hipped to the south east. PLAN: rectangular aisle-less plan with rostrum/pulpit at the east end and doorway originally to middle of south wall (now window), but in the C19 a doorway was cut in the middle of the west gable end. Probably originally there was a gallery at the west end. C20 extension front. EXTERIOR: Single storey. Symmetrical 3-window south front with probably 1742 paired 12-pane hornless sashes with wide internally ovolo moulded glazing bars and some crown glass; in the former central doorway is C19 copy with thin glazing bars. C19 shutters with chamfered stiles and rails. Left-hand gable end has central doorway with C19 4-panel door in bowtell-moulded (possibly C18) frame and hood over carried on shaped brackets; above the doorway a C19 12-pane 2-light casement. INTERIOR: original rostrum with simple balustrade with splat column balusters with ovolo moulded cornice to the handrail and to the square-on-plan newel posts with ball finials; original settle with shaped ends behind and flanked by probably later settles at lower level on either side. 1880 roof structure. Cobbled path at the west end.

The plan of this meeting house is like the one at Come-to-Good (q.v.), Feock, and there were probably many other similarities before the C19 alterations. The C18 sashes are particularly notable and rare features. Source: An Inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels, by Christopher Stell RCHM

Listing NGR: SW5184930701

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, (1986)

National Grid Reference: SW 51849 30701

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143785 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 12:16:14.

End of official listing