THE HARBOUR WALLS AND BOLLARDS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1143786

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: THE HARBOUR WALLS AND BOLLARDS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HARBOUR WALLS AND BOLLARDS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143786 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 05:08:24.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HARBOUR WALLS AND BOLLARDS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Michael's Mount

National Grid Reference: SW 51452 30153

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARAZION ST MICHAEL'S MOUNT SW 5130

4/34 (was part of 9/157) The harbour walls and bollards

GV II*

Harbour walls and bollards. Originally built circa early C15 for William Moreton, archpriest of the Mount, remodelled circa 1727 for Sir John St Aubyn, the third baronet and largely rebuilt in 1824 for Sir John St Aubyn, the fifth baronet, in 1824. Granite rubble and dressed granite cast-iron bollards (some of which are reused cannons). Plan: Irregular enclosure walled on 4 sides, the south side a retaining wall against the north shore of the island, the north wall with a large harbour entrance, the east wall adjoining the causeway to the mainland and the west wall incorporating a raised walk behind the parapets. Steps inside the harbour on either side of the entrances, 2 flights steps up to a projecting quay on the south side of the harbour and 3 slipways leading to the south-east and south west corners of the harbour. Bollards ranged slightly irregularly along the quays. Parapets on the seawards side of the 3 projecting walls. The walls of the harbour are slightly battered. The lower parts of some of the walls are of large roughly-hewn irregularly coursed blocks possibly C18 or earlier, above this in places are vertically set stones probably C18, otherwise the upper parts of the walls, steps, coping stones and the paved surfaces are probably mostly C19. Sources : St Michael's Mount, by John St Aubyn; the National Trust guide pamphlets.

Listing NGR: SW5145630188

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 69944

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
St Michaels Mount Guide
St Aubyn, J, St Michaels Mount, (1978)

End of official listing