CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143811

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143811 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 20:38:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Marazion

National Grid Reference: SW 51956 30598

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MARAZION FORE STREET, Marazion SW 5130 4/4 CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

GV II

Parish church. Built in 1861 to a design by Piers St Aubyn; the north aisle being an addition to the original scheme. Granite rubble walls with dressed granite copings, quoins, doorways, windows and other architectural features. Dry Delabole slate roofs with decorated slate verges to the gable ends of the 3 main parallel roofs and porch and vestry roofs at right angles to the main block. Plan: nave with apsidal-ended chancel beyond a chancel arch; similar north and south aisle linked by 4 bay arcades to nave; north porch at the west end of the north aisle and vestry at right angles to the east end of the south aisle. The corners of the church north and south and the ends of the arcades (west) have substantial external buttresses. A bellcote over the north west corner of the north aisle is buttressed on to the porch wall and to the west, Decorated Gothic style. Double plinth. Tall elevations, mullioned windows with trefoil-headed lights and coloured leaded glass; hoodmoulds over the pointed arched openings. North wall: 3 bays plus porch, right, with complex moulded ordered doorway to coped gable end with cruciform apex. 2-light windows with quatrefoils over. South wall: 4 bay with window to each bay similar to those of the north wall. West wall: 3 steep gable ends each with 3-light window with Decorated style tracery, the nave gable and window slightly taller than the flanking aisle gables. On the left is a tall buttressed bellcote with weathered offsets and a granite ashlar bell cradle with traceried bell opening and steep weathered gable over. The left hand side of the bellcote is integral with the west (side) wall of the porch. East wall: central apsidal chancel projection between north and south aisle gables. The round ended chancel has 5 single lights at its east end and the aisle gables have windows similar to those at the west end. The vestry Interior : 4-bay Portland stone arcades with octagonal piers and pointed arches between the nave and the aisles pointed chancel arch carried on corbelled imposts; arch-braced roof structures, the nave roof also with curved wind braces; black and brown earthenware floor tiles and the whole interior virtually as built. Fittings: granite Norman style font with 4 corner shafts; pitch pine pews, each pew numbered with a Roman numeral, and octagonal pulpit with Gothic style tracery. Memorial windows : all windows with coloured glass, some of rather standard late C19 type but some of the windows are quite striking. North aisle north windows to : Nicholas Bowden, 1761-1850 and Mary his wife 1761-1846; Elizabeth, wife of Major General JHB Longden, 1799-1875, and Joseph Longden, 1774-1847 and Jane, his wife, 1773-1846. The east window of the north aisle depicts the crucifixion and the west window is of Jesus with children. The west nave window is to Richard Wellington and family, including son Richard, a metallurgist. The south aisle south windows are to the St Aubyn family, including a window depicting the construction of a church to J Piers St Aubyn, Architect (of this building and much other work in Cornwall) 1815- 1875. The west window of the south aisle depicts Jesus travelling to Jerusalem. This church is one of Piers St Aubyn's more successful buildings see also St Michael's Mount qv.

Listing NGR: SW5195630598

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 69906

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing